We are most appreciative of the 38 people who signed a petition on December 24, 1913 requesting a library in Cardiff-by-the-Sea. The library opened in S. M. Holbrook’s Grocery, corner of Chesterfield and San Elijo, March 18, 1914.
FRIENDS OF THE CARDIFF-BY-THE-SEA LIBRARY
FOUNDED APRIL, 1984
In the spring of 1983, several interested Cardiffites saw the need for a Friends of the Library support group whose mission would be to work for the preservation and betterment of the Cardiff-by-the-Sea Library but it was not until April 1984 that Jean Tucker pulled together the formal organization: Friends of the Cardiff-by-the-Sea Library.
This group had a three-tiered goal: relocate, expand and build a new library. The Friends and the Cardiff-by-the-Sea community are appreciative to the County Library system, Supervisor Pam Slater-Price and the Hamilton-White Foundation for making our dream come true on March 22nd, 2003.